*One in four high school students crosses the street while distracted
2. Tempted to cross at mid-block? DON’T DO IT. TAKE THE EXTRA TIME TO CROSS AT THE CORNER.
* More than 70% of child pedestrian deaths occur by crossing somewhere other than an intersection.
3. BE ESPECIALLY ALERT WHEN IT’S DARK OUT, AND MAKE SURE DRIVERS CAN SEE YOU.
* ¾ of teen deaths occur between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. when it’s dark out.
4. LOOK LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT BEFORE CROSSING AND CONTINUE LOOKING IN ALL DIRECTIONS WHILE CROSSING.
* About 1 in 5 child pedestrian deaths happen at intersection.
5. Best to walk on sidewalks or paths. NO SIDEWALK? WALK FACING TRAFFIC AS FAR AWAY FROM VEHICLES AS POSSIBLE
* Sidewalks reduce pedestrian crashes by about 90%
6. WATCH OUT FOR CARS BACKING UP IN PARKING LOTS AND DRIVEWAYS.
* Every month 7 kids under 5 years old are killed by a car backing up.
7. PAUSE AT EACH LANE OF TRAFFIC AND MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE DRIVERS.
* 80+% pedestrians die when hit by car traveling 40 mph or faster. Less than 10% die when hit at 20 MPH or less.